Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Daily WiLL - April 9, 2014

I missed a day, I'm so sorry.  Having a houseguest will throw your whole schedule in turmoil, no matter what.

SO what did I miss.  Woke up this morning to find that Jim Hellwig, aka ULTIMATE WARRIOR passed away yesterday at the age of 54.  He joins so many other professional wrestlers who died younger than they should have, it breaks your heart each and every time you hear about one, but is there surprise?  Not at all.  Steroids will do nasty things to  your body, and Warrior was a big old 'roid head back in the day.

If I have to be 100% honest here (and if I'm not honest here, where else can I be?) I have to say that I was never a big Ultimate Warrior fan.  I saw him "wrestle" once in person, at a house show in September 16, 1989 in San Diego.  He beat Andre the Giant in about six seconds.  I'll have more tomorrow.



Direct-to-Consumer Pharmaceutical Advertising has only been on your television screens since about 1995.  When the more stringent restrictions were released in 1997 a floodgates of never-ending commercials for boner pills, blood thinners, SSRIs and other drugs hit our TV screens.  According to this article over 2.5 BILLION dollars were spent on DTC Pharma ads between 1997 and 2000.  Ridiculous.  Want to know what's worse than that?  The United States is one of only TWO countries in the world that allows DTC ads.

There are a couple of new ads that just blow my mind.  There's a new medication that helps blind people get regular sleep patterns.  Good stuff.  WHY IS IT BEING ADVERTISED ON TELEVISION?  Yes I know blind folks listen to TV, but seriously?  It's a drug for 70% of blind people.  There are only 1.3 million (only...) legally blind in the US, so it's for just over 800,000 people.  Or just over 40K people in each state.  Let's see if I can do math here, 1.3 million out of 313.9 million total that's .4% of the entire population.  And yet they're spending MILLIONS of dollars to get brand recognition for a drug that OVER 99% of you won't ever use.  That's just a waste of money and time.

I agree with KevinMD.com who wants to rid our airwaves of this mess.


The Daily WiLL - Being of insane mind and rotund body I leave my lack of patience to the next guy.  Let them go about their day struggling to get everything right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment