Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Daily WiLL - Thursday April 24, 2014 - Art and Artists

The Warhol Museum located in Pittsburgh, PA has discovered a trove of Amiga Computer Art that the late auteur worked on prior to his death in 1987.  The art itself is crude and indicative of the time, but hey it's new Warhol, and that's something.  Check it out here.

I never fail to be amazed at what my friends from High School are doing these days.  Seriously my classmates in HS are all over the globe: I have TWO friends who live in China, one in Russia, one in Germany and others scattered throughout the states.  They're mostly doing very very interesting things, many of them in the science field.  One of my friends from Gompers Secondary School is the new curator at the Jundt Art Museum at Gonzaga University - There's a great article on his appointment here.  I think it's totally awesome that I know someone who is the curator of an art museum, and well, next time we're in Washington (which would be my first time) we'll go visit.  Anyway, there's a really interesting lecture at the museum he USED to work at in Georgia tonight, which I would go to if I could.  Check it out: “Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Fortune: Queering Saint Sebastian”

Helen Pashgian's Light Invisible
I've been taking Kaylee to LACMA since she was a baby.  The first time was for the awesome Rene Magritte exhibit back in 2007, I pushed her around in her stroller while I enjoyed the artwork and baby Kaylee was just experiencing everything around her.  It was magical.  Since then she's been a member of their NEXTGEN program, which gives a free museum membership to those under 18 years old, and they get to bring a parent each time they go.  During the Summer we like to go at least once a month.  Last week we checked out the museum for the first time in several months.  Kaylee bought a multi-colored pencil with her own money, and we did painting in the Boone Children's Gallery.  We also saw a couple of new exhibits:

Helen Pashgian's Light Invisible is a large installation of glass panels illuminated from above with no interior lighting.  It's quite impressive, and I generally enjoy plexiglass and glass illuminated sculptures. however, honestly I didn't get much out of the piece.  It's interested for a few moments, but there didn't seem to be any underlying theme that I could discern.

Another modern art exhibition is Futbol The Beautiful Game which is a celebration of Soccer culture around the world.  There were some interesting pieces, and I especially liked the Stadium piece that is in the video above.  There's just something so awesome when a miniature stadium can be filled with a team of Red Power Rangers against a team of Incredible Hulks while being viewed by multiple Jesuses.

The one new show that I really enjoyed was Agnes Varda in Californialand which showcased the Belgian artist's film and photography.  My favorite part was her "My Shack of Cinema"

Which is a large size installation made from strips of film taken from decommissioned prints of several of her films.  It's an incredible piece that you can actually walk into.


Very cool stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment