Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Daily WiLL - Thursday, May 1, 2014 - MAY DAY - Family

Happy May Day.  Happy Beltane.  Spring is here, though it feels more like Summer today, being that it's currently 85 F.

I am feeling very in touch with my Father lately; especially today.  Yesterday at the urging of some new friends I dug out the manuscript that my Father wrote about his escapades in Vietnam in 1968, and I read through the entire thing.  I hadn't read it in over 20 years, and time had actually completely softened my feelings towards the thing.  Where in 1987 when I initially read it, for the first time I might add, I must have still been quite angry at my Dad for dying, because I didn't think the writing was all that good, nor did I think that the stories were all that interesting.

That's not to say it's a masterpiece in the making.  It's a draft.  With some editing and perhaps some adaptation it could make a great monologue or stage play.  It might even be an interesting film, there's certainly enough material.  The thing is though, it's hard for me to even picture the character of the narrator, even though he was my own father.  Maybe this is where I can bring my skills to the table.  In any case, the material is mine to do with as I please, as it turns out, it pleases me to be able to read it, and transcribe it.  I'll most likely post the raw material here on my blog or perhaps another blog may be in order.

I managed to scan the entire 150+ page manuscript into Rich Text Format this afternoon.  Unfortunately I've now got 150+ RTF files to copy and paste into word.  Actually that work is kind of fun for me, and I've always been good at it.  I've already got two script-pages completed in a format that could be presentable.

Maybe I'm ready to deal with the family issues of my paternal side.  I don't really know to be honest.  The fact that they're all dead hasn't been lost upon me.  My namesake William Zook Noetling died over a year before I was born (October 29, 1969 to be precise).  His wife, my Grandmother Ruth Leona Rodd died in 1999, my Father pre-deceased her in 1987 and most recently my Uncle Daniel Rodd Noetling died last year.

I am,  by no means, the last Noetling on the planet.  My Ancestor Dr. William Noetling was born December 19, 1776 in Plochingen, Germany, and moved to Pennsylvania in 1824.  He married Elizabeth Zulauf and they had three boys, the eldest of which, also a William, is my progenitor.  The other two children Charles and John both had families and are still represented with decendents today.  I haven't met them yet, but I know they exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment